Friday, October 04, 2013

Composting

I am making dirt. I am being environmentally conscious and putting my cucumber peels, potato peels, and apple peels into a composting bin. I toss in coffee grounds and all those annoying brown leaves that fall from the trees onto my patio. The leaves are brown and very dry, so I add water.

I found a worm one day and I placed him in the bin, too. Had some deer poop on the lawn so I added that as well. Every now and then I stir up my compost. It takes a while for all that stuff to disintegrate into dirt, but I'm hopeful that by spring I'll have humus rich in nutrients to place around my flowers.

I can't help but compare the process of composting with the process of writing. It's similar to cooking, too, but it takes much longer. A little of this, a little of that, time, stirring, adding water, and voila--a book.

If you want to know more about composting, there are many sites on the web devoted to the topic--and quite a few excellent videos, as well.

If you want to write a book, get busy. Add a little of this, a little of that, give it time, stir, and drink some water (or coffee, or tea). It's slower than cooking--and you should use a thesaurus--but you could wind up with a book if you keep at it. :-)

2 comments:

MarkD60 said...

We just dump all that stuff off the porch into the flower bed. It is turning into some good dirt and the plants are thriving. Plus the chickens go in there and eat what they want.

Penelope Marzec said...

Mark,

No chickens here. However, there are lots of deer and they are always nibbling at my plants and bushes, which is why I am putting in as many deer resistant plants as possible. That's also why a covered compost bin is a good idea for us. I'm sure the deer would gobble up my vegetable scraps if they had the opportunity.