Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Fashion Flashback, The Granny Dress


Once upon a time, the "Granny Dress" was the height of fashion. That's me in 1972 looking like I am ready for an afternoon tea party with a bunch of Victorians. Granny dresses were all the rage and I loved them. Most of the time I lived in my jeans--and I still do. However, it was nice to dress up for a few hours in ruffles. Sort of like going into a time machine, but only temporarily and while still having all the modern conveniences available. (I hopped into my Chevy Nova and drove off. I would not want to deal with a horse.)

I wish I had a photo of the pink gingham granny dress I made. I sewed that dress to wear for the special party the graduating class of 1971 (of what was then Jersey City State College) had on a Circle Line cruise around New York instead of a prom. On the boat I danced to the latest rock tunes in my granny dress.

My affinity for the style is even stranger when you consider that the dress code for women was only abolished a few years earlier. Until my sophomore year in college, all women were required to wear dresses to class--every day, all the time.

Styles come and go, but it is wonderful to have the freedom to choose what you want to wear.

4 comments:

MarkD60 said...

I like the old shoes with the row of buttons on them

nparlye that

Penelope Marzec said...

Ha! I wouldn't wear those shoes. Too much trouble to hook all the buttons. I have an old button hook from my grandmother and I can't imagine what a bother that must have been. Of course, I didn't mind lacing up ice skates, but that went rather quickly.

But high-button shoes--just so nobody could see any ankles? That's a bit much.

Victoria Pitts-Caine said...

I remember those! A group of my writing friends were just discussing today when we were allowed to wear pants and not dresses to school. Times sure do change.

Penelope Marzec said...

Victoria,

I am very happy I don't have to wear a dress everyday. It was a glorious day when women were freed from dresses.

But it's nice to dress up once in a while. :^)