Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Transitions--Or How Did I Get Here?

I'm on the second round of editing Patriot's Heart, the book I finished during JeRoWriMo. On the first round I found plenty of glaring errors, but now I'm using a fine tooth comb--so to speak.

I've discovered some transition problems in my story. There are many ways to handle transitions, but each one must be clear.

I've found several blog posts with good advice:

http://menwithpens.ca/how-to-write-transition-scenes/

http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/16/mastering-scene-transitions/

There are many more blog posts on this topic for it is important. Transitions should be smooth and carry the story forward without boring the reader. The reader should know where the characters are and how much time has elapsed.

Writing a book is challenging! There are so many details to work out, but I have fun doing it.

4 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

True, transitions are important. I still find revisions challenging, may yours get easier. :-)

Penelope Marzec said...

Revisions are challenging but always make the book better. :^)

Jennifer Wells said...

I have trouble with transitions as well. Thanks for sharing your resources! :)

Penelope Marzec said...

Jennifer,

You're welcome. There is plenty of information about writing on the internet! Just don't get too tangled up in the web. :^)