Friday, March 08, 2013

Book Dedications

I am still editing Patriot's Heart. I dropped one entire thread as I raced to finish the rough draft, so now I am weaving that thread through the book. However, I paused for a moment last night to consider the dedication. When I wrote Sea Of Hope, I completely neglected to include a dedication, but that was my first published book and everything about the publishing process was new to me.

Since then, I have given considerable thought to the dedications in the front of each book. To me, it's the best way for me to thank and honor those who have helped me on my writing journey. I admit that sometimes the seed of the idea for the book came from the honoree, but most often I just want them to know how much they've meant to me and enriched my life.

Heaven's Blue: For my cousin, Sandy Karchella, and all the other lost children. May the Lord find them and bring them home.

A Rush of Light: To my three daughters...
Let your light shine.


The Keeper's Promise: For Bobbie L.

Irons In The Fire: Dedicated to my parents who taught me all about the magic of love.

The Company You Keep: Dedicated to Rich, my very own hero.

The Beast of Blackbirch Manor: For Billy

The Fiend of White Buck Hall: For Jan

Kiss of Blarney: For Emily, my friend

Prince of the Mist: For Tommy, My Irish Grandfather--A True Leprechaun

Daddy Wanted: For A. Thanks for the inspiration.


Who would you dedicate a book to?

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I dedicated my first book to one of my best friends, a woman who has been in my life for 23 years and has always been my biggest cheerleader.

My current manuscript (if accepted) will be dedicated to my other best friend who has enriched my life and often been like the sister I never had. The heroine in this story COMPLETELY reminds me of my friend.

Penelope Marzec said...

Alexa,

Writers need cheerleaders--and it's even better when they've been there for a long time.

I hope your other book gets published, too. Good luck!