Friday, May 08, 2020

No Time for Books?

I know a lot of people who don't read books. Some are friends, some are relatives, and some are coworkers. Many of them have college degrees. I could list their names here but that would be mean and it still wouldn't make them pick up a book and read it. They all have a reason for not reading. They tell me they are too busy. They often read magazines, or the newspaper. But they never sit down with a book in their hands and read it from the beginning to the end. Never.

I think this is very sad. Those who don't read are missing out on some amazing adventures. But more importantly, they are wrong about the time needed to read a book. Reading does not have to take much time at all. There are millions of audio books--and you can borrow them at the library for nothing. You don't even have to visit the library, you can download them from the library's website and then add them to your iPod. You can listen to them while driving to work, exercising, or folding the laundry. Seriously, what else are you going to do while folding laundry? Listen to Lady Gaga?

For those who own a Kindle, there are books that are speech enabled. The Kindle can read the books to you. You can dust the living room or crochet an afghan while listening to the latest Janet Evanovich novel. Better yet, you can listen one of my novels.

Books are special. Every book allows the reader to enter into someone else's mind. Please get into a book soon. It really doesn't take any time at all.

8 comments:

Betty Gordon said...

Good post. Books are special and if you have time to read only a couple of pages at a time -- do it. I had a recent interesting experience when a faithful reader of my print books refused to read a mini-ebook. According to her, she read on her computer at work all day and she didn't want to continue this in her relaxation time. She didn't have a reader -- could have made a difference.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I agree with you. I believe in reading. It's quite possibly the most important thing we can do for ourselves and our children.

JaneE2059 said...

Some of my favorite friends are:
JANE EYRE, the OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon, GONE WITH THE WIND...and too many more to name. I've been a reader all my life, and I don't know what I'd do without a book. I also have a Kindle, and I can take many books with me wherever I go (without having to pay for luggage fees).
:-)

JaneE2059 said...

Books are wonderful friends!

Rachel Firasek said...

I agree, everyone should be reading. Great post!!!

Fiona McGier said...

"Every book allows the reader to enter into someone else's mind."

Truer words were never spoken! We can't ever BE another person, but by reading what someone else wrote, we can crawl around in their brain for a while, seeing what they do. It's a marvelous opportunity!

Anonymous said...

A book can be a great friend. Unlike the pressure of school, there is no deadline or state testing waiting around the corner. Like a true friend, the book is there when you need it. It understands if something is too deep, for one reading and is available for a reread. If it is too sad, it will wait till you compose yourself. It is there whenever you wish to "play"with it. It never says "I'm too busy."

Jaye

Penelope Marzec said...

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments. However, you are all readers and so you understand the magic inside a book.

I would like those who don't read to give it a try so they can discover what an incredible adventure reading can be. But it is so difficult to convince non-readers. They have other priorities--and books are simply not included on their lists. :^(